Under the general direction of the Director of Operations, the Estimator is responsible for assisting with take-offs and obtaining and analyzing bids from suppliers and subcontractors.
This position helps coordinate bidding, buyout, contract award and budgets for multiple job projects.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and perform accurate labor and material takeoffs according to DeLeers procedures. Ensure that all paperwork and information necessary to the bid preparation is complete and ready for submission.
- Maintain complete understanding and knowledge of DeLeers pricing policies to ensure that pricing is correct on all bids and that the company is earning appropriate margins for each project.
- Determine standard vs. non-standard pricing based on the specifications of the project and standard vs. non-standard availability of materials and scope of work involved. Ensure that any special pricing has been confirmed for non-standard bid projects.
- Assist Business Development Associates in the assembly of project budgets. Ensure and validate accuracy of project budgets by validating against hard estimates or bids, including assessment on all projects, code compliance and development issues.
- Provide support and assistance to value-engineer proposals and/or design elements and assist in buyout research.
- Read and review blueprints/plans and interpret them to determine all trade responsibilities.
- Work collaboratively with Business Development Associates on the creation of scopes of work, and in bid openings and contract awards.
- Communicate regularly and obtain information from Director of Operations, Business Development Department and Project Managers as necessary and appropriate (job name / number, drawings, specifications, scope of project, bid due date, and any other pertinent information).
- Review finished quotes with Director of Operations, other Estimators, Business Development Department and/or Project Managers; answer questions and make changes as required.
- Meet with Project Manager at the award of a contract to hand off all pertinent information and ensure a smooth transition for new job.
- Compile accurate and organized project bids, bid invitations, and proposals on time; completes all necessary bid forms; and follow standard listing of bid exclusions per contract.
- Prepare cost estimates for change orders in a timely manner and presents to Project Manager.
- Work effectively with architects, engineers, project managers and customers. Develop and maintain good subcontractor and supplier relationships at all times.
- Work closely with Business Development Associates to contact and meet with subcontractors to acquire all necessary bids required for a complete bid package. Maintain awareness of, and account for special project requirements (i.e. bid bonds, insurance, equipment, etc.).
- Review job costs with Director of Operations and Accounting Dept. to track actual job costs as compared to estimated job costs; adjust estimating programs if necessary.
- Meet with Project Manager at completion of job to review job costs.
- Manage the receipt of appropriate bid information, including: requesting bid list from client/contractor in order to receive all information appropriate to the bid process, reviewing bid list and determining specifications according to request including determining the DeLeers standard pricing.
- Work closely with Business Development team to prepare bids for submission and coordinates the completion of the bid package including typing and sending according to bid specifications.
- Monitor overall bid progress, including: following up on all bid submissions and submitting any further documentation as required, tracking status of the bid to determine if DeLeers is remaining part of the consideration process and, if DeLeers is unsuccessful, determining the name of the contractor who was awarded the project.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Work effectively as part of the Estimating Team, sharing information and assisting others as requested.
- Participate in all department meetings and communications and ensure that all company policies and procedures are followed as they are outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Keep current in industry standards by reading published information and attending authorized training and/or participating in company training programs as required.
- Perform any special assignments, additional projects, or other job-related duties as may be necessary to carry out the responsibilities of this position as required by the Director of Operations or the management team.
WORK RELATIONSHIPS AND SCOPE:
Works closely with Business Development Associates, Project Managers, and other members of management. Works as an integral part of DeLeers team to increase efficiency and profit through accountability (internal and external); taking ownership; good communication; quality; flexibility; customer focus (internal and external); and building positive relationships.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum of five years of field construction experience and/or trade school certificate/degree in construction or estimating related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of construction estimating, engineering or similar experience. General knowledge of construction equipment and estimating techniques, cost control and material pricing required. Ability to calculate mathematical extensions, read and understand engineering drawings, purchase orders, contracts and cost coding systems is essential.
- Ability to read construction plans (architectural, MEP, civil drawings), documents, and specifications and comprehend what needs to be done. Must be familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures of construction and conceptual estimating, and have good knowledge of work performed by all construction trades.
- Proficient in the use of computers and associated computer software including Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, MS Project). Knowledge of AutoCAD and Bluebeam software; and Timberline Estimating experience is an asset.
- Strong math skills and the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to calculate mathematical extensions, read and understand engineering drawings, purchase orders, contracts and cost coding systems is essential.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a fast-paced team environment. Minimum supervision provided when estimating items in own discipline; may independently estimate several projects at one time.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to bring imagination and creativity to challenging situations.
- Communication and organizational skills required, including the ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work effectively; work effectively and efficiently under pressure and time deadlines; multi-task and be able to frequently jump from one assignment to another; analyze problems (not just symptoms); propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions, carry-out decisions made, and follow up with feedback where appropriate.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment; however, some time could be spent in the field with construction crew employees where a minimal exposure to injury exists. Hours of work will generally be during regular DeLeers Construction business hours. There will be some variation in work hours due to project work levels, deadlines, and other customer issues, and to ensure all bids are submitted within the allotted time frames.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 lbs and occasionally lift and/or move and carry up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.