Experienced Commercial Construction Estimator - Hiring in Green BayResponsible for working closely with the Estimating Team Leader to manage all day-to-day functions and activities of the estimating department to include; preparing and/or coordinating the preparation of cost estimates, providing accurate and timely bid proposals; ensuring bids provide complete and accurate pricing information; following up on all bid submissions; and providing communication on accepted projects to ensure quality work is provided.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares and performs accurate labor and material takeoffs according to DeLeers procedures, including:
- Managing the coordination of information to and from all necessary departments to ensure bid requirements and specifications are complete and accurate.
- Ensuring that all paperwork and information necessary to the bid preparation is complete and ready for submission.
- Maintaining complete understanding and knowledge of DeLeers pricing policies to ensure that pricing is correct on all bids and that the company is earning appropriate margins for each project.
- Determining standard vs. non-standard pricing based on the specifications of the project and standard vs. non-standard availability of materials and scope of work involved.
- Ensuring that any special pricing has been confirmed for non-standard bid projects.
- Determining if scope of project is acceptable within DeLeers production goals and is profitable and productive within pricing scheme.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge and expertise in regard to usage of Timberline estimating software; prepares and keeps current a detailed procedure manual and trains other employees on estimating software usage.
- Communicates regularly and obtains information from Business Development Department and Project Managers as necessary and appropriate (job name / number, drawings, specifications, scope of project, bid due date, and any other pertinent information). Reviews finished quotes with Business Development Department and Project Managers; answer questions and make changes as required.
- Meets with Project Manager, Superintendent, and Business Development Associate at the award of a contract to hand off all pertinent information and ensure a smooth transition for new job.
- Creates effective and functional templates and business forms as needed (i.e., proposals, scope of work, bid solicitation, etc.)
- Compiles accurate and organized project bids and proposals on time; completes all necessary bid forms; and creates complete listing of bid exclusions.
- Works closely with Business Development Associates to provide written proposals or estimates for prospective projects that can be presented to the client.
- Prepares cost estimates, when needed, for large change orders in a timely manner and presents to Project Manager.
- Provides effective and detailed reports for projects that are easy to comprehend.
- Maintains accurate time studies with the assistance of Data-Maxx; and requests more data when required.
- Develops and maintains an accurate data base (with the assistance of fellow employees).
- Monitors estimating software and makes recommendations for upgrading when necessary and appropriate.
- Works closely with Business Development Associates to contact and meet with subcontractors to acquire all necessary bids required for a complete bid package.
- Maintains good subcontractor relationships at all times.
- Maintains awareness of, and accounts for special project requirements (i.e. bid bonds, insurance, equipment, etc.).
- Operates with the principle that the customer is always right, and acts as a professional and effective sales representative for DeLeers Construction, Inc.
- Reviews job costs with Project Management department to track actual job costs as compared to estimated job costs; adjust estimating programs if necessary.
- Meets with Project Manager, Superintendent, and Business Development Associates at completion of job to review job costs and determine if adjustments in production rates or material allowances are needed.
- Works closely with Business Development Team to research, identify and present potential bid projects. Accepts bid assignments as delegated by the Business Development Team.
- Manages the receipt of appropriate bid information, including: requesting bid list from client/contractor in order to receive all information appropriate to the bid process. Reviewing bid list and determining specifications according to request including determining the DeLeers standard pricing. Coordinating special pricing with the Management Team for any non-standard item.
- Prepares bid for submission and coordinates the completion of the bid package including typing and sending according to bid specifications.
- Monitors bid progress, including:
- Following up on all bid submissions and submitting any further documentation as required.
- Requesting to have credit application sent out if client is a new customer of DeLeers.
- Tracking status of the bid to determine if DeLeers is remaining part of the consideration process and, if DeLeers is unsuccessful, determining the name of the contractor who was awarded the project.
- Reviewing pending award of project with all affected departments to ensure that all areas are on line with possible upcoming project.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Works effectively as part of the Estimating and job project team, sharing information and assisting other estimators in the case of absence or work backlog.
- Facilitates department meetings and communications, and ensures that all company policies and procedures are followed as they are outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Keeps current in industry standards by reading published information and attending authorized training and/or participating in company training programs as required.
- Performs any special assignments, additional projects, or other job-related duties as may be necessary to carry out the responsibilities of this position as required by Management Team.
WORK RELATIONSHIPS AND SCOPE:
Works closely with other Estimators, the Project Managers, Business Development Associates and other members of management. Works as an integral part of DeLeers team to increase efficiency and profit through accountability (internal and external); taking ownership; good communication; quality; flexibility; customer focus (internal and external); and building positive relationships.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High school diploma and eight to ten years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Individual must have extensive proven knowledge of carpentry processes and practices, and complete comprehension of blueprint and specification reading in both residential and commercial construction fields.
- Ability to read construction plans (architectural, MEP, civil drawings), documents, and specifications and comprehend what needs to be done. Must be familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures of construction and conceptual estimating, and have good knowledge of work performed by all construction trades.
- Minimum of seven years of field construction experience and/or trade school certificate/degree in construction or estimating related field.
- Proficient in the use of computers and associated computer software including Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, MS Project). Knowledge of Timberline Estimating is an asset.
- Strong math skills and the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percentage and to draw and interpret graphs. Ability to calculate quantities and areas as related to construction material takeoff.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a fast paced team environment.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to bring imagination and creativity to challenging situations.
- Communication and organizational skills required, including the ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work effectively; work effectively and efficiently under pressure and time deadlines; multi-task and be able to frequently jump from one assignment to another; analyze problems (not just symptoms); propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions, carry-out decisions made, and follow up with feedback where appropriate.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment; however, some time is spent in the field with construction crew employees where a minimal exposure to injury exists. Hours of work will generally be during regular DeLeers Construction business hours. There will be some variation in work hours due to project work levels, deadlines, and other customer issues, and to ensure all bids are submitted within the allotted time frames.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to walk; use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 lbs and occasionally lift and/or move and carry up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Contact for more info and to apply.