Painter* Hiring for positions in Green Bay.
Responsible for performing tasks involving the proper application of paints, stains, varnishes, and other finishes to buildings (inside/outside), building components, and other structures. Painter is expected to choose the right paint and/or finish and the proper method of application for the surface to be covered, taking into account durability, ease of handling, method of application, and customers’ wishes.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Paints buildings, structures, equipment, building components, and furniture using brushes, rollers, spray gun machines, or other applicators. Finishes surfaces of woodwork or wall board in residential and commercial structures.
- Prepares walls/surfaces and applies wallpaper, vinyl and fabric coverings.
- Prepares surfaces to be covered, so that the paint will adhere properly. When necessary, removes old coats of paint by stripping, sanding, wire brushing, burning, or water and abrasive blasting.
- Thoroughly covers surfaces and furniture to protect from paint.
- Washes walls and trim to remove dirt and grease. Caulks, putties, cements or plasters nail holes and cracks, sandpaper rough spots, and brush off dust.
- On new surfaces, applies primer or sealer to prepare the surface for the finish coat.
- Mixes, matches, and blends various paints, enamels, lacquers, varnishes, stains and special protective coatings to achieve desired color, consistency, and drying properties relying on knowledge of paint composition and color harmony. Uses color wheel and other color systems.
- Safely erects and uses ladders and scaffolding for painting/finishing structures above ground level.
- Cleans and cares for brushes, spray guns, and other equipment. Stores all tools and equipment properly.
- Removes all spattered paint after a job is complete, and cleans works sites of all debris.
- Inspects all work to ensure quality and accuracy. Recognizes and remedies paint/coating failures caused by improper preparation and application of coatings. Recognizes and remedies coating discoloration.
- Follows all established safety rules and regulations, including the use of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), and always maintain a safe and clean environment on the jobsite.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain accurate labor records; charge out materials properly to the appropriate job.
- Ensure all company policies and procedures are followed at all times as they are outlined in the DeLeers Construction, Inc. Employee Handbook.
- Always take responsibility for the care and use of all company-owned equipment which is part of the day-to-day work function.
- Represent the Company in a professional manner, and always exhibit courteous and respectful behavior on the jobsite (to fellow co-workers, subcontractors, customers, etc.).
- Participate in company training programs and attend authorized external conferences or seminars as required to keep current in company and industry standards and operating.
- Perform any special assignments or projects as requested by the Paint Division Manager, or other members of management.
WORK RELATIONSHIPS AND SCOPE:
Works closely with both painter and carpenter superintendents and all other painting and carpentry crew members. This position occasionally interacts with external customers. Works as an integral part of DeLeers team to increase efficiency and profit through accountability (internal and external); taking ownership; good communication; quality; flexibility; customer focus (internal and external); and building positive relationships.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Educational background equivalent to a high school education with some course work in skilled crafts or trades training, similar work experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven ability to read and comprehend basic written instructions, read a ruler, and have a good basic math skills and the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Must have considerable knowledge of the standard materials, methods, practices, hand and power tools, equipment and techniques associated with the painting trade. Ability to use and operate hand and power tools as needed in a safe, efficient manner.
- Considerable knowledge of safety standards/precautions pertaining to painting and ability to read and follow SDS recommendations and requirements.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations where limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills required, including the ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work effectively; work effectively and efficiently under pressure and time deadlines; analyze problems (not just symptoms); propose reasonable solutions, make logical decisions, carry-out decisions made, and follow up with feedback where appropriate.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision, and complete daily activities according to established work schedule. Must be able to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
- Must be able to climb elevations and perform heavy manual labor, including bending, stooping, reaching, and digging, carrying and lifting heavy objects weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Must hold, or be able to obtain a valid and appropriate state driver’s license prior to employment.